[Harp-L] Beginners Guide to the C Harmonica

Most beginning harmonica players are told to get a harmonica in C. Below is an article explaining what a "C harmonica" is.

Some may question whether this explanation is needed. I think it is. When I started I had no idea about music keys, and was confounded whenever I tried to join a jam. I obviously had the wrong key harmonica. Not knowing this, I was about to quit. Then at a festival in New Zealand, someone explained music keys, second position, and the need to use a harmonica which matches the key of the song. Incredibly, they loaned me their harmonicas so I could try this "new idea". Finally, I was able to play in the right key and join in. I was immediately hooked, and still am.

I remain forever grateful to this anonymous teacher. Hopefully my article will help those in a similar position to the one I was in.

"Most beginning players are advised to get a harmonica in the key of C. Those new to music may ask why a C harmonica is needed, rather than another type. Others may ask what is meant by a key of C harmonica. These questions are reasonable..."

The remainder of the article is at

http://www.harmonicatunes.com/keyofCharmonica