Re: [Harp-L] amps for newbie

David Fertig wrote:
<Second, lots of talk about amps seems to presume they'd sound similar with each player.  Don't you <agree amps can sound very different with each player, each mic?  At least that's my experience.  <Especially with harmonica, as each player is a different sound box. So try it before you buy it!

Word.

Like I wrote in a previous post, I heard Curtis Salgado and Mark Hummel, two VERY fine players, using the same gear at the Blowout in Modesto CA last week.  Their respective sounds were both brilliant, but I assure everyone reading this that they otherwise sounded very, very different.

Anyone who thinks that they can cop somebody else's sound by using that person's gear is mistaken.  "Each player is a different sound box" is utterly true.  Sounding like someone else can be done, but it's about skill, not gear.

Use the gear that makes a sound that inspires you.  Like David says, try it before you buy it.  If you can't try before you buy, buy from a dealer that offers a no-excuses-necessary money back guarantee within a reasonable time period.

Regards, Richard Hunter