Re: [Harp-L] Charlie McCoy?

On Feb 5, 2009, at 4:14 PM, icemanle@xxxxxxx wrote:

Charlie works with his "usual suspects" when he can afford to bring them to a gig - these are great Nashville session players that worked with Charlie when he was musical director for "Hee Haw". Unfortunately, when he is booked in the US, most of it is for regional festivals and - if you can believe it - the RV Parks, where there is not a lot of $ to spend, so he will use a local country/bluegrass band for back up. They cut the gig, but are definitely a level or two below where he likes to play.

Hey Lawrence of Haifa

Charlie generally preferred to work with 'Barefoot Jerry' but that was in the 70s. After that, he worked a lot with 'Area Code 615'. But all in all, there are plenty of musicians who qualify. I was even able to find out from his pedal steel player that the pedal steel player 'I' used to play with when he came to Pgh (Al Petty), is doing time in Texas on a 'Ponzi' scheme. What a terrific loss.

Speaking of 'Usual Suspects', do you remember when you alluded to my being a mysterious (and possibly fictitious) type that you described as Keyser Sosa? Ok, I just came back from the Innagural Playboy jazz cruise on the Westerdam. The lineup was (but not limited TO): Herbie Hancock, Marcus Miller, Dianne Reeves, James Moody, Roy Hargrove, Poncho Sanchez, the New Birth Jazz Band, as well as many others of varying degrees of expertise.

Remember when I told you that all it takes to do a whole lot of things is to be 1... A whole lot of old 2...Be in the right place at the right time
3... Have some jing in your pocket. I took a 2 week cruise in Oct 07, and now a 1 week cruise in Jan 09. Extrapolate that over a period of 66 years, and that's how I do it. (Btw, I played my a$$ off. I came home 6 lbs 14 oz heavier...BUT...no a$$). P.s. I have lots of pictures.

Keyser Sosa

This I know from talking with him directly, as I booked him for a show last year in the Orlando area. Because I like to create a first class experience for the musicians and the audience, Charlie was very happy when I told him I'd bring in his hand selected Nashville musicians for this particular gig, as they haven't played together in years. What a blast, especially picking them all up at the airport. It was quite a reunion scene. It was also fascinating to watch him work them at the sound check/rehearsal to pull them into a first class unit in a short period of time. Charlie is amazing and the respect and response from these musicians was something to see. The show that night was as good as anything done at The Grand Ol' Opry.

Anyways, the next day I took all the side men out for lunch before running them to the airport. They all told me amazing stories about Charlie, including the fact that he, along with Chet Atkins, developed the Nashville system for charts back in the early days.

So, my verification is from horses' mouths and was good enough for me to repeat here. Winslow, on the other hand, may like more official documentation - perhaps something in writing....?

I think he was around when it was developed, but is he the actual originator?
Likely more than one person was involved.

If this claim can be documented and verified, it would be great.

I think he was around when it was developed, but is he the actual originator?
Likely more than one person was involved.

If this claim can be documented and verified, it would be great.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa