[Harp-L] Re: Amp overkill and topic overkill

Larry the Iceman very succinctly wrote: " This is one "X" factor that hasn't
been discussed as much as thinking of ones' self and ones' amp. If a band
knows how to play as a supportive unit, loud volume is never an issue. Jam
sessions are notoriously out of this realm, being  more about "DIG ME", "NO,
LISTEN TO ME", "NO, MEEEE FIRST"."

Amen. This is the point I was trying to convey regarding "LOUD" in relation
to amps. When one brings an appropriate sized amp for a particular venue and
instead winds up getting slammed by the 3 or more guitar gods playing their
big amps to see who can be louder, it's a losing battle. Frankly, I'd much
prefer to show at these venues with my harp case and a mic, and plug
directly into the board. Tonewise, yeah it might not be THE tone I want but
it beats dragging out a huge amp just to keep from getting covered up by the
guitar gods and it puts the harp on a volume par with the vocals, (and no
particular slam there either.I play guitar some too, and have been lucky to
have shared the stage often with people who KNEW dynamics). There's a fellow
(actually a VERY good guitar player) but has the bad habits Larry's listed
above.too loud, and apparently hasn't read the Thelonius Monk-ism's
regarding notes: sometimes it's what you DON'T play that's important, and my
other favorites: Stop playing all those bullshit notes. Don't play
everything, let some things go by. Some music is just imagined. What you
don't play can be more important than what you do play. A note can be as
small as a pin or as big as the world, it depends on your imagination.

As for soundmen and giving you what you want, the best I ever encountered
was playing an outdoor gig at Universal Studios in Orlando a couple of years
ago. Crowd of about 1000 people, in a tight outdoor area of Universal. All
equipment was to be Universal's by studio rules. I talked to the sound guy,
got fixed up with a Shure SM-58, told him what I wanted, quick test a few
hours before the show. He nailed the sound I wanted. I'm sure Universal
doesn't scrimp on system dollars either.

bill otten