Re: [Harp-L] Amp overkill

I find your choice of capatilzation offensive.  If you read my original post on this matter I said you should use your amp for stage volume.  If you need a 50w Bassman on two or three to get your stage volume, that's fine.  I just don't see the point of trying to fill the house with an amp when it would sound better front of house to mic it.

I understand what you're saying.  I really wanted to run my Vibro Champ through a 2x10 cab last night, but I brought the wrong cable.  Neither of my posts referenced using only small amps. I suggested using "small" amps....I usually gig with a 50w 2x10 (blew a fuse after sound check so went with the Champ).  Small amps are generally categorized by wattage (30ish watts or lower).  Cabinet size is a HUGE factor...however, there are a lot of myths out there about more speakers equaling more volume.  My 6 watt Champ sounds better through 2x10 than 1x8, but it isn't any louder.

Tone is super important, but at what cost?  My point is there can be a compromise between getting the sound you want and the volume you play at.  If you want the sound of a cranked amp, some of the 50w 4x10 type amps are going to be too loud for almost all of us.

Many musicians complain about not getting the sound they want because they are asked to turn down or are told the stage volume is very loud.  If you can't get your amp hot enough, use less watts.

Mike Fugazzi
Vocals/Harmonica
"The Mike Fugazzi Band"
http://www.myspace.com/mikefugazzi
http://www.youtube.com/user/mikefugazzi
http://www.synikalproductions.com/MFB/EPK.pdf

"Music should be healing; music should uplift the soul; music should inspire. There is no better way of getting closer to God, of rising higher towards the spirit, of attaining spiritual perfection than music, if only it is rightly understood."
-Hazrat Inayat Khan

"Music is like a river or stream that has come down to us through time, bringing nurture to man's soul.  From the past masters, this music flowed to my father and through him to me.  I want to keep this stream flowing.  I don't want it to die.  It must spread all over the world."
-Ali Akbar Khan