RE: [Harp-L] Retuning Kit - making a homemade one

James boutilier inquires:
> ok, so, my paypal wasnt where i thought it was
> need to save a few bucks to get into retuning my harmonicas
>
> figured the money is best spent on a cheap set of harps and the
> chromatic tuner.
>
> so, im trying to build a basic retuning & gapping kit.
>
> -->  I cut open one of those CD security thingies, and sure
> enough, the promised 3 metal shims were there, 2 long thinner
> ones, and one slightly thicker shorter one.

Those are great for several uses in working on harps - centering reeds in
the slot, removing debris from the space between the reed and reedplate,
etc.

An old fashioned razor blade or a thin mechanic's feeler gauge will come in
handy for supporting the reeds as you work on them (place the blade/gauge
between the reed and reedplate.)

You can file a square notch in a feeler gauge to fashion a reed wrench.

An essential tool is a "reed offset tool," a brass rod with a rounded spade
shape on one end and a tapered end bent at a 90 degree angle to the shaft.
Both Lee Oskar and Hering toolkits include one. Somewhere on his Chromatic
Reference website, "Harp-On," G details how to make one from an inexpensive
brass rod available at your local hardware store, but I couldn't find it.
You might e-mail him for its location (see link on website).
http://www.angelfire.com/music/HarpOn/

In lieu of that, a large, dulled needle would work for the tapered end.
You'd be amazed what you can do with such a needle, even with the harp
assembled.

BTW, Lee Oskar publishes a little harmonica maintenance pamphlet that is
short, sweet, and excellent (comes with his toolkit). You can probably
google a copy.

> --> having done some jewelry work, I have a couple small
> precision fine files

I prefer "sanding wands," $14.95/set:
http://www.micromark.com/MICRO-SANDING-WAND-SET,7760.html

SmoJoe makes his own by gluing sandpaper to the edge of a popsicle stick. He
stacks several popsicle stick, glues on the sandpaper and then cuts the
sticks apart with a razor blade. (Incidentally, Smokey Joe is the original
"McGyver" of harmonica repair/customization. He could write a book about
home-made harmonica tools... With any luck, he'll respond to your query.)

> --> I have a small triangle file ground at the end on an angle
> like a chisel.

Surely you wouldn't use that to tune reeds? Maybe to chamfer them ala Rick
Epping...

A small socket from your automotive toolkit or even a penny will nicely
emboss the reedplate slots.

> Can anyone tell me if they think this is sufficient, and what
> else i might add (home-made or dollarstore procured) ?

A tuner would be handy... A cheapie like a $20 Korg from your local music
store will do.

You'll need small slothead and philips head screwdrivers. I prefer the Wiha
brand. Last ya forever.

A cardboard boxtop (especially with a white inner surface) is very handy for
holding/catching and finding small parts that inevitable fly around the room
when you work on your harps. (Avoid a carpeted room.)

A good worklight is essential. I like the kind on an articulated arm that
has a magnifying lens built in.

A very flat surface to ensure your combs and reedplates are flat is handy. I
use an old marble cutting board. Great for flattening combs with fine
sandpaper.

I use paraffin or bee's wax to seal wood combs. I do it gently in the
microwave to avoid a potentially deadly fire hazard. Food-grade cutting
board or salad bowl sealant is also good. Check your local hardware store.

At my age, reading glasses are very helpful.  8^)

BTW, Douglas Tate's book, "Make your harmonica play better" is an excellent
resource. At $10 or so from Amazon and elsewhere, it might very well be your
first purchase.

Good luck,

Michelle