Re: Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Magic reed gap adjustment

On Dec 28, 2009, at 2:32 PM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

honestly, I can't imagine ANYone not wanting the ability to be able to gap
ALL or most reeds...if there were a way to do it without muss and fuss and
without screwing up or damaging anything inside.

After giving this much thought over the last day, I had a few trepadations. Metal is weird stuff. If you take 100 harps, NONE of them will have exactly the same gap. Even the same note on the same model and key. What looks like .022 gap on one harp will sound the same on another harp at .023 or .024. I would think that it would be quite difficult to adjust even one reed on a harp and keep it consistent..harp to harp, that is. This would be a genuine wizardly feat of engineering.

There's the flex factor to the metal.

I'd sure want to ...of course I'm talking primarily about chromatics....but
then I watched Chris Michalek spend an inordinate length of time
re-gapping the reeds on my own 4 Buddha harps (he'd made for me)..simply because I
need mine gapped differently from other people due to my TMJ problem.

Something to make that easier (and take up less time) would be great. When
you mentioned a 'magic knob' I visualized a little sliding one running
along a slot in the back of the harp...but then...that would get into 'air
leakiness'. And round and round we go (again) <G>

AND, how much would one adjust this fixture. I mean, we're talking thousandths here. Why golly gee, you can get a thousandth worth of flex just out of the covers. THEN, the covers would have to be pristine, correctly clearanced from the reeds and with NO dings or dents.

Wouldn't you at least have a sure-fire market with most of the customizers?

But I L O V E it. :) smo-joe

Elizabeth