Re: [Harp-L] Butterfield.....tone

Hi everyone,

I am enjoying this thread a great deal. Butter's worth and contributions to
 all things harmonica  did not become fully realized by me until I had been
 playing harp for at least 15 years. I always realized he was a great
player,  but then began to appreciate him on so many more levels. I guess  my
ears got bigger and more "tuned in".

His phrasing and intonation started to jump out at me once I knew what  to
listen for. Don't get me wrong, his harp always moved me, but as I became
more aware of how much actual control he had over his Marine Band, I started
to  consider him as one of my , if not my favorite players.

I have given this example before, but I guess I can give it again. Try to
find " Gene's Tune" off his "Live" CD.
It is a fantastic example of what Paul Butterfield was capable of.  He
just leads the band into a space where they are all churning this tune to
musical heights I can't describe here. Not blues, not exactly jazz, definitely
not pop, but absolutely great instrumental music. He was a GREAT band
leader,  although I have heard he was a bit hard to deal with at times.

He brought a greater respect for our instrument like few others. Another
example of this is on Levon Helm's New Years Eve "RKO All Stars" CD. Even
though  he is not the band leader here, he is allowed to contribute at his own
will. And  always does so in such a tasty manner. This is a band with horns
and guitars,  yet Butter seems to be the one leading the tunes with his harp
(IMO). And  Helms seems to be fine with that. That is respect in my book,
cause they cut the  CD just as is, live again. Has tons of his harp on it.
One of my few regrets in  life is not seeing Paul Butterfield's  Band live.
That must have been  something to witness and be a part of, judging by the
live recordings he has  left behind.

Oh, and he doesn't sing so bad either!

Happy Holidays,

Chris Mastakas

In a message dated 12/20/2009 12:53:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,