[Harp-L] Butter TV spot

Per Rob P:

It's merely a matter of taste...for me on Blues Harp...it's Little
Walter, Musselwhite and Butterfield who I felt really drove it forward and
treaded the newest ground....then it was Charlie McCoy and Norton Buffalo,
Howard Levy for the non Blues Stuff. Jason Ricci has been making great
strides and I like where his is taking things. Another reason I personally
like Butter and Musselwhite and Cotton and Wells...is that GEAR didn't
dominate their sound, meaning it didn't have to be a Bullet or a Bassman or
a specific combo of gear to produce 'Their' sound. The sound primarily was
from them FIRST, you could have them play threw a to 'Mr. Microphone' and
you'd know who was playing.

While perhaps not as influential as the others Rob names, Sugar Blue is a player who has developed an individual style that advances the historical approach to playing the instrument. Listen to his early French albums to her this, not necessarily his Alligator releases. This material is most easily found on a collection called "Another Man Done Gone" which is available as an MP3 album on Amazon. Very sophisticated stuff, and definitely worth listening to. Liking it or not is a matter of personal taste, but the musicality and originality of the approach is undeniable.

To the extent Butterfield takes from the others, if i listen very closely, I think he has more in common with Jr. Wells than he does any of the others.

JP