[Harp-L] re: The True Chromatic

http://truechromatic.com/

A lot of words to sift through before you download the PDF manual or click on the "harp-o-matic" and discover the layout (a problem of a lot of websites--just get to the good stuff:):

blow: C..Eb..G..Bb..D..F..A..C..E...G...B...D hole: 1...2....3....4...5...6...7...8...9..10.11.12 draw: D...F...A...C...E..G...B..D..Gb..A..Db..E

With the slider raising everything a semitone as standard. So, a non- repeating spiral over three octaves and a fourth. Interesting.

That said, I think the chord-harp possibilities are a bit overstated. For one, there is a practical usage difference between having a chord available in the lowest octave and the middle or top octave. The only D major chord, for example is in holes 8-9-10, the top octave of a standard chromatic (or an octave lower on a tenor). That pitch range and reed response will probably dictate certain ways and times of playing the chord different than if it was available in the lowest octave, IMO and IME.

Still, a very interesting tuning for chromatic harmonica. I personally am not a fan of spiral tunings for the most part, but would certainly encourage anyone interested to try--it just might be for you.

JR Ross