[Harp-L] Koei Tanaka, including a couple of his SPAH 2009 performances/Roger Smith Trio

Greg's one of the really good guys.....sponsoring foreigners to come to the
 US to help them play at SPAH, providing a home and expensive equipment for
 same - and then staying cheerful and friendly at SPAH while allowing
anyone  who wanted to, try out his wares. I lusted after those gorgeous carved
wood  mics...watched him be so nice to everyone who had questions about his
mics and  amps...

We became friends at SPAH 2009 during the brief moments he'd get  away from
the 'store' to attend seminars, jams, etc.  I captured on  video one great
(but brief) moment of Greg playing diatonic to Jason's  chord jamming in the
corridor one late night. Very cool stuff. Haven't  yet heard his band, but
I'm sure they're good.

He's definitely the kind of unselfish person the harmonica community/SPAH's
 stated ideals are all about.  It's nice when something good comes out  of
adversity. Makes one begin to believe in Karma. ;)

It's sure nice to see his Kalamazoo front and center on all of Koei
Tanaka's videos as well as brilliant pictures of Jason playing Greg's
unmistakable and gorgeous mics in the most recent photos taken of JR & New  Blood on
their European tour. Check out both player's youtubes...and Jason's  facebook
for one especially stunning photo showing the mic....there are  others: two
especially professional photogs with amazing photos of New  Blood.  Jason's
never looked (or sounded) better...that goes for the rest  of the guys in
the band as well.

Thanks Greg for posting Tanaka's 'Chiken'....it reminded me that it was the
 Roger Smith Trio who came through for Koei at the last minute.  I  did a
little research to refresh my memory: Roger Smith has played  keyboards for
the funk/R&B/soul/jazzy Band Tower of Power for the last 10  years, and been
a very busy jazz player on his own:

Here's a description of a Tower of Power CD including him and some other
familiar names:

_http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=33497_
(http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=33497)

...And an excerpt from a writeup about the Summer Concert series he
participated in locally (from the Sacramento Press):

"During his 30 year career, Smith has released five CD recordings and
collaborated on countless others. His Off the Hook was a smash, No. 1 hit on
Billboardâs contemporary jazz singles chart in 1999 and stayed in the top 10
for  nearly 20 weeks. Smith returned to the charts in 2004 with the 14-track
solo CD  Just Enough. His latest CD release and single of the same name,
Sittinâ In is gaining airplay across the country. He has been the  keyboard
player and background vocalist in the Oakland-based soul band Tower of  Power
since 1999 and continues to tour over 180 days per year. Currently, he is
developing projects with his band Jazz Rosco and producing projects for
several  other artists"

Although I didn't get the name of the bassist,  Michael Curtis,  Jr. was
the drummer at SPAH with Roger's trio. Here's a link to his site  ....love
this original song he's playing drums on: 'Intercontinental  breakfast'.  It'll
give you an idea of the major grooves going on that  night at SPAH. We were
very privileged...

_http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelcurtisjr_
(http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelcurtisjr)

And one more link to Jazz Rosco - Roger's 'main' site.  I'm becoming a
bigger fan by the moment ;)

_http://www.jazzrosco.com/index.php_ (http://www.jazzrosco.com/index.php)

If one delves further into Koei Tanaka's site _www.tanakakoei.com_
(http://www.tanakakoei.com)   besides the  youtubes of his SPAH songs there are
photos of him with many familiar SPAH faces  and luminaries.  Last time I
visited I found some of a visit he'd made to  Charley Leighton's but now cannot
seem to access again. Perhaps if someone among  us speaks Japanese they can
narrow it down for me?

Tanaka's original music (he opened with Bluesette and then segued into
mostly his own original music for the rest of his set), is absolutely lovely.
I'd very much like to order his CD: 'Notes from the Air' but can't seem to
figure out how to get it. If anyone can help I'd appreciate translation or
an English language site where I can make the purchase. Thanks in  advance...

Elizabeth

"Message: 14