From: Mike Fugazzi <mikefugazzi@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Re: [Harp-L] Genre hoping
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 10:33:56 -0600

Another thought...

If you understand enough about music and music theory, it is much easier to
mover to a different genre and still do "your" thing.

The blues is "easy" in that the structure and rules can be the same for a
whole night of tunes.  Knowing how that translates into funk, jazz, etc can
be very helpful.  Heck, most guitar players learn two scales and play them
over every type of song they ever play.

Even understanding how progressions can be diatonic, so you don't *have to*
follow the chord changes is an important realization.

It isn't about transposing licks over different groups.  It is about
adjusting your vocabulary to fit a different style of song.

One more random thought...

It seems a lot of my young harp player peers have put playing fast and
flashy at the forefront of the harp style.  :(  There are even some players
who the L tends to like that really just play the same scale patterns over
any type of song with blazingly fast speeds.

Military Loans
Find loans exclusively for members of our military. Click now!
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2241/c?cp=0M250vNFpf6XmQp32luIJQAAJ1G8N0Dd3_WAEfHr7Bs9Pv4gAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAmiAAAAAA=