RE: Subject: [Harp-L] Reed Slot Tolerance

Elizabeth,

Thank you for introducing ME to another use for the strips. I have three different harmonica repair kits and have been using the shims included, which were cut from feeler gauges. Richard Sleigh's tuning kit (which I just got) included four different shims for supporting the reed and covering adjacent reeds. All of them are about the same thickness as the little security strips but are much larger.

BTW, Richard has a great tool for fine tuning, especially when playing on the road or when disassembling is not readily available. Well worth the price of his entire toolkit, IMHO. Richard is also one super nice dude to talk with, in addition to being one of the premier harp luthiers (Filisko Guild) and a really righteous guitar/harp player.

Regards,
Crazy Bob

________________________________
> From: EGS1217@xxxxxxx
> Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 15:22:40 -0500
> Subject: Subject: [Harp-L] Reed Slot Tolerance
> To: robertpcoble@xxxxxxxxxxx
> CC: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
>

> Bob: Far as I know, those who use the little metal
> pieces removed from those magnetic security strips ...were using them
> as shims to support the reeds while working on them (so they don't bend down
> into the slot or lose their natural shape)...not specifically to 'debur' the
> sides of the reed slot.
>

> At least that was my understanding from those writing about the
> practice on Slidemeister...if memory serves the first person who told me about
> them was SmoJoe, but for all I know they're now multi-purpose. Great
> little tools to find and use..and free! Previously, people used to talk
> about the use of copper pennies to debur or work on the edges of reed
> slots...nothing high-tech there either.
>

> ..I guess I assumed Bill was using the metal strips as reed support
> shims...he did have a few in his kit at GSHC (spent a lot of time working on my
> Super 64 there....very kind of him). I never thought of using them as
> 'deburrers'.
>>
> Elizabeth

Chat with Messenger straight from your Hotmail inbox.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowslive/hotmail_bl1/hotmail_bl1.aspx?ocid=PID23879::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-ww:WM_IMHM_4:092009