Re: [Harp-L] New question from a part-time lurker

"Ronald Burton" wrote:
<I play periodically with a guitarist who likes to throw in "Rollin' In My
<Sweet Baby's Arms" at about a 220 count. I have, almost, been able to
<handle that speed but I am not satisfied with my lead line. Anyone have any
<link ideas to any artists, CD's, You-Tube examples of similar tunes that
<would spark some more imagination to what I'm doing?

Try Russ Hicks on pedal steel (barefoot jerry...used to back Charley McCoy), or Don Rich on fiddle (buckaroos...used to back Buck Owens).
With the fiddle, you could take out some notes till you get comfortable with the speed. With the pedal steel, you should be able to handle it because Russ is going for tone moreso than notes and therefore sitting on the notes longer, and in some cases smearing them.

Back in the early 70s I used to do this tune with Al Petty out of Tyler Texas. The notes don't come as fast as for John Henry or the 'O'blossom', because there ARE rests at the ends of the phrases....Rollin in my sweet baby's arms...1...2...3...rolling in my etc....4...5...6...

smokey-joe with the Slim Buckston band, the Stoney Brooks band, yada yada.