[Harp-L] Hohner

Paul N. wrote:

<Does the Hohner family still own the Hohner Co.? If not, why did they sell out and to whom did they sell to?>

No, they no longer own it and there have been no Hohners at Hohner for over 20 years. Due to the fact that the Hohner family basically ruined the company through poorly judged investments and an allegedly luxurious lifestyle, they were forced out under the threat of imminent bankruptcy in the mid 1980s. I never met any of them and I've worked for Hohner since 1985. At that point the Deutsche Bank took charge and appointed ever-changing new mangements for about 15 years with varying degrees of success. In the early 2000s the Taiwanese company KHS (a major player in the international musical instrument business) bought the majority of the shares. Now the company is once again on a stable footing and is still run from its traditional headquarters in Trossingen, Germany (where the World Harmonica Festival will take place for the 6th time since 1989 in only a few weeks),

Steve Baker
www.stevebaker.de
www.bluesculture.com