Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Harp Case stories

Okay, Grant....I think Jerry's probably have the best current 'Mojo' you're
 going to find...but I did, finally...take photos (at SPAH) of my own home
customized 'harp' case. I have to get the photos downloaded - probably in
the  next couple of days - (I'm still a neophyte at this)....and will post
them along  with the photos of Chris' most beautiful harps.

I'd found on EBay a Mexican hand-tooled leather 'train case'...nabbed it
for somewhere around $17 (if I remember) a couple of years ago. The inside
vinyl  was in sad shape - didn't matter, I had other plans for it - at some
point will  replace all the vinyl inside the top lid, and the handle was
ripped (I knew I  could replace it fairly easily). The case is gorgeous...and the
dimensions  perfect: 12x7x5" deep.. ..I could have diatonics standing
upright.

I ordered pick and pluck foam inexpensively. Originally I used a  simple
block of regular upholsterer's foam which I completely butchered in  a hurry
for Buckeye, and it looked terrible....but for this SPAH I finally got
around to setting the case up properly. It held (because my needs are quite
different from most players since I play primarily chromatics ...and then
different keyed CX-12's):

 - 5 CX-12's, 1 16-hole chromatic, one thinner 12hole Bb  chromatic (a
Seydel deluxe); one 260 chromatic (10 hole) Hohner in its  leather case; 11
diatonics (including my 4 custom Chris Michalek's harps.

My favorite 2 chroms are usually with me in my pocketbook anyway - so I
could still make more room.

Since I don't really play 'out' I haven't had need for other
configurations. I just bought the 'bottle o' blues' mic/amp set up at  SPAH (loved LD
Miller's and his Mom let me try it out, it works  surprisingly well for the
CX-12, so I bought one.) It fits into the case  with some maneuvering...I can
reconfigure the case with fewer chroms...rarely  play the F and don't really
need the 260, or the extra Bb. A purely  diatonic player could fit as many
diatonics as he/she would need with judicious  planning, as well as a bullet
mic with cord.

I used the 'eggcrate' 'lid' insert which comes with the pick and pluck set
as simply a cover over the harps pressing it down to protect them before
zipping  the lid (for Air Travel) - the lid is too shallow to hold the insert
properly in  place but worked for me this way. The case is compact and easy
enough to  carry despite its more concentrated weight now (I had a newer
soft leather  handle attached at my local shoe repair; cleaned, polished and
buffed the entire  bag myself with leather cleaner and shoe polish).

I've had offers to buy it from just about everyone who saw the case, but it
 now has major 'Mojo'... and suits me perfectly :)

Other 'train cases' come up on EBay fairly frequently and make perfect harp
 cases to my mind.

this next is somewhat along the lines of the kind I've seen lately:

_http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-Leather-TRAIN-CASE-Vanity-Accessories-Keys_W0QQ
itemZ290342855951QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4399c8650f&_
trksid=p3286.c0.m14_
(http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-Leather-TRAIN-CASE-Vanity-Accessories-Keys_W0QQitemZ290342855951QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?
hash=item4399c8650f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

Mine is very different, smaller and zippered...but this particular one
looks like a good buy. Lots of Samsonite cases are available which are much
deeper.

While I was scanning these I just came across another vintage 'faux
alligator' samsonite leather train case with key, in remarkably good
condition...a bit bigger than the case I now use and couldn't resist  bidding on it. I
just won the bid. It cost a wee bit more than the case I  now use, but will
allow me to transport more items when I'm travelling locally  in the car and
save wear and tear on my smaller case, which I'll now save  strictly for
flying.

I've also come across an artist who buys the 60's style hard Samsonite
rounded upright makeup train cases who cleans them up inside and out, uses
black  pen and ink to draw trees and other designs on them and resells them for
$80+.  This is the kind she uses:

_http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-RETRO-SAMSONITE-TRAVEL-TRAIN-MAKE-UP-CASE-TRAY_
W0QQitemZ380152719414QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLuggage?hash=item5882de2836&_trksid=
p4999.c0.m14_
(http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-RETRO-SAMSONITE-TRAVEL-TRAIN-MAKE-UP-CASE-TRAY_W0QQitemZ380152719414QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLuggage?hash=item5882d
e2836&_trksid=p4999.c0.m14)

And just in case anyone's interested, here's another still open for
bidding:

It mentions some 'spotting' ...but that seems to be on the fabric - which
can be cleaned...and besides - a new bottom is relatively  easily installed
after cleaning and then the pick and pluck (or other foam)
inserted...it''ll never be seen. Anyone interested should just make sure it  isn't mildewed
(ask the seller) - or it'll have to be removed and relined.  Still very much
worth it...this is an especially deep case..even 12 hole chroms  could
stand upright, methinks. Questions to ask are if the handle is intact and  if
the latches work.

_http://cgi.ebay.com/GREAT-LARGE-VINTAGE-TRAIN-CASE-HERCULYTE-US-TRUNKCO_W0Q
QitemZ380142115414QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item58823c5a56&
_trksid=p4999.c0.m14_
(http://cgi.ebay.com/GREAT-LARGE-VINTAGE-TRAIN-CASE-HERCULYTE-US-TRUNKCO_W0QQitemZ380142115414QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_
0?hash=item58823c5a56&_trksid=p4999.c0.m14)

Elizabeth

"Message: 8