Re: [Harp-L] Harp Case stories

Another subject I guess...
but the nicest case I have ever had:
My cousin had one made for me (he is a professional player) out of Koa wood in hawaii.
It was a beautiful work of art...
over a short period of time and travel it began to get ruined...
Drunks at gigs (not me..really) would bump into the stage,( table top at best) and the case would fall.
Wood cases cannot take the beating...

I have had three others custom made by loving friends...out of sacred 100 year old wood or cabinet grade oak...etc.
These also fell apart after hard road use...eventually i even made cases for my cases...
twice, they have been stolen at city gigs... they must look like a gun case or drug case in the back seat.

Lately, I just use the plastic case from Hohner. Problem is when I go to gigs with other harmonica players...some guys give me the rookie treatment...
Not a big deal...
but I would love to see a collection of harp cases...wish I would have photographed me long lost ones.
If you don't go on the road...there are great antique silverware cases that are easily customized for harps...
The dark red velvet can get grodie, remove and refinish before making the wood inserts...
Don't use for traveling set as it will be real noisy.
It does promote better air flow after playing...

Maybe I will bolt a cool graphic for the dorky front of my Hohner plastic model...or maybe I will just be a dork...It is just a case.

The best case I have ever seen was a leather one made for Ralph Shine.. calve skin leather...fit all new Meisterclause harps (when first came out) work of art.. masterpiece.
Two sided and folded over itself...

Grant