Re: [Harp-L] help me choose the right chromatic harmonica !

On Aug 24, 2009, at 6:19 PM, Vern Smith wrote:

Here are the properties of a chromatic harmonica (in descending order of importance) that would influence my selection:

1. Price. I would not pay thousands of dollars for any harmonica.

A person who makes $42,801.24 a year can justify $428.oo for harps. 'I' elect to buy SEVERAL for that price. Example:
3 chromos (@ 75.oo) and 5 diatonics (@ $25.oo). :)

2. Slide leakage. IMO, the amount of leakage through the slide will affect the player's satisfaction more than any other property. I posit that the main feature that set the Renaissance apart was its precisely-machined and low-leakage slide.

Which gummed up too quickly for me. As I get older, my saliva gets more and more 'pastey' (ne Elmer's Glue). :)

The Hohner CX12 has low slide leakage and is worth your consideration for that reason.

As long as holding what amounts to a pick-axe handle (in cross section) in your mouth doesn't bother you. :)

3. Reed material, not for imperceptible differences of tone but for resistance to fatigue. Right now, the $340 Seydel Saxony is the only chromatic with stainless steel reeds. IMO, this is a tremendous advantage. One fatigued reed makes a harmonica unplayable. The reed must be replaced. Although technicians do this routinely, most players find it very difficult...first to obtain the replacement and then to install it.

Who fatigues reeds? They don't pay me enough for me to fatigue them. BTW, while we're ON this subject, I had a long running gun battle with the 'Late great Tate'. I said that harmonicas are self destructive and he disagreed. Well if they aren't self destructive, why do people have to constantly REPLACE them. Something doesn't compute here.

5. Independent part removal. Covers and reedplates that are screwed to the comb are preferable to those that are screwed to their opposing mates. With the former, you can remove one cover or one reedplate and the instrument stays together without exposing the "other" reedplate to damage. With the latter, if you remove one reedplate, then the whole instrument becomes a basket case.

Blackie and I talked about this at great length with Rich Farrell many moons ago. I am the first person that I know of to use inserts to accomplish this. I didn't get them from some supplier. I 'squeezed' them from the stand offs on all the boom boxes my kids went through with a pair of pliers.

6. Availability of repair parts.

Good idea. Long overdue.

No harp is perfect in all categories.

And that's why you shouldn't pay a lot of money for one. In MY opinion, there IS only one sweet chromo. Unfortunately it is a 48 model. And while I play 48s, Hohner missed the boat this time. It should be a 56. As for diatonics, I find the spl-20 to be good enough for Govt. specs. Lolol

Smokey Joe & the Cafe s

Happy chromatic harpin',

Vern

---