[Harp-L] Hohner Marine Band Crossover at SPAH

Earlier I wrote:

>The Manji (am I correct that this is Mr. Suzuki's first name?)
> was the big news for diatonic at SPAH.

I should qualify that statement in order to be fair.

Before SPAH, I had not heard about the Manji, so in that sense it was very real news and my statement stands as correct.

However, at SPAH 2009 I was also able to experience the Hohner marine Band Crossover for the first time. While it was not "news" in the sense that this model had already been announced, playing it was a new experience.

The Crossover is the newest version in a series of models based on the revered Marine Band design. Like its predecessor, the Marine Band Deluxe, the Crossover uses screws instead of nails to fasten Marine Band reedplates and covers to a wooden comb. However, instead of the venerable pearwood used in both the original Band and in the Deluxe, which requires sealing to avoid swelling from moisture, the Crossover uses bamboo, which requires no sealing and is claimed not to swell. The other difference is in the temperament of chords, which in the Crossover is closer to equal temperament than the Deluxe or the original Marine Band, while still delivering chords that sound harmonious.

I acquired a Crossover in G at SPAH and so far have played it only briefly. It delivered a lot of power and, while it didn't seem particularly well set up for the sort of extended overblowing I like to do, it showed great potential. Later, I was able to experiment with a Crossover in D at the invitation of David Fairweather. While he had to leave to catch a plane before I got past Hole 3, again I found a lot of power in the ability of the harp to deliver sound and considerable overblow potential.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa