[Harp-L] SPAH fun

Having missed the previous 8 conventions, I was thrilled to be included this
year. If you have never been and wonder what all the fuss is about, imagine
being backstage at the concerts of all your favorite harmonica players and
their favorites at the same time- for a week.

I started out the week early and got the lay of the land. I found the
Safeway and stocked up on supplies for the week, then my nephew came down
from Chico and we ate steaks and drank beer for a couple hours before he had
to leave. Several early arrivers smelled the BBQ and strolled by to
investigate. I invited them all to come back Tuesday for a BBQ lunch that
turned into a harmonica jam with some great playing.

Tuesday afternoon turned out to be a lot of fun with Warren Bachman, Winslow
Yerxa, Todd (?) Cotton Seed, Jay, Brandon,  Stan Ruffo, Christelle Berthon,
Paul Davies, Larry Regan and a few others hanging out consuming all my
beverages and Hot links. It was great. We partied long enough for people to
go get their harps and then played harmonicas for an hour or two by the
"lake".

That night we went downtown to Jason Ricci's harp blowoff. Cotton Seed got
on TV for hanging out in front of the club playing for the passersby. He is
only 13 and can't get in the club. That boy has more soul than most of the
local harp posers you see around your town. You know who I mean. I hope he
keeps playing and stays healthy. The Blowoff was a ton of fun. Jason played
a little here and there and finished the night with a set. Winslow had a
group, the Harp Beats played, Christelle, Mark Hummel, Steve Baker (f'ing
WOW!) All had sets. Even Greg "Fingers" Taylor showed up on stage. They let
17 yr old Jay Gaunt in to drop a few jaws. I even got to sing one song and
play some limited harp during the band's break- Thank you Jason!! I drove
and had a van load of tired folks threatening to take a cab, so I missed
Jason's last set.

Wednesday was the first official day of the convention with seminars. I was
acting as the AV set up guy, so I had to co-ordinate with the seminar
teachers and attend to their needs. Easy if you know how. I do. Lots of
great small jams were happening throughout the day, and the vendor areas
were starting to get set up. I surprised Fritz Hausenpusch by returning a
mic I had borrowed from him some years ago. (sorry and thanks, Fritz). Harp
cases, racks, mics, amps, adapters, cables- all for sale and there to try
out. I was wishing I was not so poverty stricken. I would have surely bought
something from a couple of those guys. Maybe an in-line volume control and a
case from Hal Iwan.

I got to see many old friends and reconnect with people like Joe Filisko,
Buzz Krantz, Vern Smith, Marv Monroe, Randy Singer, Bud Bobolink, Tommy
Morgan, Charlie Musselwhite, Rick Estrin, Stan Ruffo, Michael Peloquin,
Michael Polesky, David Fairweather, Dennis Gruenling, Paul Davies, Hal Iwan,
Bobbie Giordano, Jellyroll Johnson, AL Smith. I met a lot of new friends,
too. Jason Ricci, George Miklas, Rupert Oysler, James Conway, Jimi Lee,
Christelle, Tom Striker, Wareen B, Steve Baker, Andy Just.

There were so many wonderful players and I feel we are all connected
cosmically by our little tin sandwiches. It was a harmonica Love in.

The Thursday night concert was on for the ages. If you were there, you know
it is true. The sound man had the mix just right on stage for the musicians
so they could all hear each other and also in the room. Every player was on
top of their game. Mark Hummel's band was the backbone, and were solid and
in the pocket. Rusty Zinn on guitar, Marty and RW on the rhythm section. I
wont go blow for blow for you, but I will say that Jason Ricci's set was
some of the finest harmonica playing I have personally EVER heard. I know he
gets a lot of props on harp-l and some folks get tired of hearing JR this
and JR that, but the guy is a force of nature and cannot be denied.

Friday night Stan Ruffo took Rob Paparaozzi (2009 harmonica player of the
year! WTG, Rob!) and me to Outback for dinner, then we went back and hung
out at the late night blues jam.

The teach-ins were a great opportunity to learn learn learn and also to
share tips and tricks with others. Joe was busy bringing water, backrubs,
and encouragement to each table. Filisko has to be the nicest guy I have
ever met. I love you, man.

Saturday I did a seminar on positions and Michael Rubin was there to help
straighten me out. If you are wondering, I did have to give him $2 for
finding mistakes. Thank you, sir. I could go on and on- Oh wait- I did! But
you get the idea. The banquet was nice. Bruce Kurnow entranced everyone with
beautiful harp plucking accompanied by his smooth harmonica playing.

Gotta go. Too much information anyway. Love to all. Sorry if I neglected to
mention anyone.

Thank you, SPAH, for including me in the convention. I hope we can do it
every year.