Re: [Harp-L] The new Suzuki MANJI: Closest Reed/Slot Tolerances Ever Achieved

Bill Hines wrote:

> This looks exciting (depending on what the price is, can't wait to hear that) but I'm disappointed
> that Suzuki put all of this progressive technology into the insides yet stuck to an obsolete and
> non-ergonomic design for the harp itself. Human hands just aren't shaped like that and I find
> playing harps shaped like that annoying.
> There is a lot of time spent here talking about the sound of the wood comb versus plastic as well.

i agree with you. i love the suzuki bluesmaster and the seydel blues session designs; they fit
my hand beautifully. but i'd guess this is a question of style over ergonomics in this case. this
harp looks just like a marine band, which seems to be what most people play, or at least they
play other harps that also look just like this. there is a very strong sense of traditionalism
in this market, and i'd guess they wanted it to seem like a better marine band, rather than
some newfangled thing that people would dismiss because it "didn't look right".

> I think the latest consensus seems to be that the comb material isn't distinguishable to human ears?

i doubt there will *ever* be a concensus on this issue.