RE: [Harp-L] DeVille 410

While things are quiet on the list...

Back in February I asked the list for views on the Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410 as a harp amp. I was leaning pretty heavy toward this amp, and the input I got from list members helped me be comfortable with the choice.

I did buy the amp, 1993 with stock tubes. I've played it in a number of settings, and now have a few outdoor shows behind me, so it's time for my report.

This is the right amp for me.

It is loud enough (finally), and it sounds good.

I'm not a working pro, but the folks I sit in with are, and everybody is happy. Universal agreement that this amp puts the harp at the right place in the mix. Comments come from audience and guitar players on how good this sounds.

I prefer a cleaner sound than some, and play through an EV 767 vocal mic. I'm not using the drive channels. Feedback has NOT been a problem. Volume at 3-ish inside, up to 5+ outside, feedback still not a problem. I think the mic I'm using helps against feedback.

I have experimented with the drive channel(s) to get dirtier for some select tunes, but feedback does then become a problem. I've stopped fiddling with this, maybe I'll come back to it later on.

I will probably do a single tube swap, because conventional wisdom says I should, but frankly I don't hear an urgent need to. It ain't broke, not sure I need to fix it.

It is heavy, and I am not young, so I built a set of wheels for it.

This amp was the right thing for me to spend my tax refund on.

Thanks to those who sent their comments on this amp to me back in February.

Bill R
http://myspace.com/willierange