[Harp-L] When embossing makes a reed dull

 Jon Vaughan wrote:
 When embossing, I sometimes find that the reed response becomes 'dull'- when plinked, it doesn't have such a ringing sound, and the sound doesn't last for quite so long.  Usually this is when I have over embossed the slot, and have had to remove burrs from the slot edge with a shim to prevent rattling....snip....is it possible that I've caused the reed to become fatigued (by pushing down too much at the rivet end)

Jon, does the harmonica play alright despite the reed not having a clear ringing tone when plinked?  If it sounds
good when being played, and does not sound good when plinked, then I would assume that your explanation is
indeed the cause.  But my experience is that if reed doesn't sound good when plinked,it will not sound good
when played.
  I agree that the cause your reed sounding problem is that your tolerance has been reduced enough to
cause the reed to be ever-so-slightly hitting the side of the reed slot.  Check to ensure that the reed is straight
in it's slot.  I have seen many harps come out of the factory with reeds that are not perfectly centered; then
when you emboss, one side or the other quickly exhibits a problem like you described, because the reed is
hitting the slot.
  In my opinion, you have not fatigued the reed by pushing down too much at the rivet end.  That
can easily (and quickly!) ruin a reed if done wrong, but doesn't noticeably fatigue a reed, in my opinion.
  It probably goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway - good lighting and reading glasses, if not a magnifying
glass (or both) are huge aids when embossing.
ron - FL Keys, USA