Re: [Harp-L] When embossing makes a reed dull

this just happen to me a few minute ago, I'm trying to save my first harp that I crush the lid on... and so on.....

abner (Blueyes, I'm just fatigued)
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jon Vaughan
  To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Monday, April 27, 2009 4:52 PM
  Subject: [Harp-L] When embossing makes a reed dull

  Hi all,

  When embossing, I sometimes find that the reed response becomes 'dull'
  - when plinked, it doesn't have such a ringing sound, and the sound
  doesn't last for quite so long.  Usually this is when I have over
  embossed the slot, and have had to remove burrs from the slot edge
  with a shim to prevent rattling.

  What I'm wondering is, is this dullness purely down to the slot
  tolerances being too narrow still and preventing the reed from
  swinging so freely, or is it possible that I've caused the reed to
  become fatigued (by pushing down too much at the rivet end)?  The reed
  keeps the correct pitch and doesn't go flat as I normally think of
  with reed fatigue.

  Thanks,

  Jon