[Harp-L] Conceptualising notes (was RE: Some questions for chromatic players..)

Hmmm... interesting. Well that's ok if you're already a piano player! Maybe I should learn that first..

Howard Levy says the same thing - he imagines the notes in his head as laid out on a piano keyboard. To make it a bit more manageable he also imagines first that whatever harp he's playing is a C harp.

Otherwise, being as how he plays one harp in all 12 keys he'd have to keep 144 possible keys/positions in his head!! Gawd...

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Bradford Trainham" <bradford.trainham@...> wrote:

I find your observations about "concept" interesting.  I'm not disputing any
of them, but as I'm finally easing off into chromatic, I tend to think of a
piano keyboard as I'm "laying out notes" in my head.
But right now.., it feels so funny to practice on the chromatic for a while
and then to suddenly switch back to diatonics.
 I'll be curious to see how my supposed styles on  the two (chromatic and
diatonic) types of harps will influence one another.
Good post!
Brad Trainham