[Harp-L] Coltrane/Afro Blue

Thanks for the birthday wishes, guys. I wish I had never "corrected" Jonathan Metts (who I also think is a wonderful person) about Afro Blue because there is really no harp content there. I simply wanted to correct any misimpression and give appropriate credit on our archived List. But once started, I have trouble dropping a point. Sound like anyone around here?

Jonathan wrote:

I never said that Coltrane wrote
the song.... What I implied is that
Jason Ricci & New Blood are
covering the Coltrane version.

What he said in his original post was:

four of the twelve songs are covers
(of The Misfits, Willie Dixon, John Coltrane,
and Sun Ra).

Now to the point or, actually, the question: If your band was doing All Along The Watchtower the way Hendrix did it, would you say you were doing a cover of Jimi Hendrix or Bob Dylan? If you were doing With A Little Help From My Friends like Joe Cocker did it, would you say you were doing a cover of Joe Cocker or the Beatles?

I'm big on giving songwriters credit, but that's just me. It bothers me when people performing This Masquerade say they are doing a George Benson cover. George Benson covered the song. Leon Russell wrote and recorded it.

George