[Harp-L] Harp-L] consistency

Nice article,Jonathon...I totally agree with your ideas. I majorly have found Lee Oskar is a very consistent product where as Tombo's don't always stay in tune as long for me.It's a harp that is a nice mellow instrument but seems not as tight in response. I majorly rely on Hohner Special 20's and my 'calibrated' harps but the 'seeming' inconsistency of the Hohner harps and other 'cheaper' brands has caused a frustration and wariness. Created some years ago now was an excellent little read 'The Search for Amplified Harmonica Tone' by Pete Sheridan [Triple A blues band].
It covered vintage equipment appropriate for extraordinary harmonica playing and 'all things' micrphone and vintage harmonica, players etc.
Maybe we're ready to appraise the recent 'factory' and bouquet models once and for all.This seems to be an issue that continues to rear it's head and cause  lack of confidence and concern when replacing  professionally played diatonics.I am quite frankly sick of paying good money for products that have flaws or 'bum out' to quickly. I am a working player but heck I spend more than I ever earn [as is the way of it] and expect satisfaction. I hate paying for things that don't deliver on the hype.  'Gapping' reeds, opening cover plates, changing combs is all very well however I'm an artist not a tech. Some guys get off  and can 'tweak' their instruments. All power to them. I however, have literally a bucket full of 'out of tune or fractured' harps that await resurrection and nine times out of ten I 'stuff' the job up. Reed replacement tools and a decent tuner will remain on the agenda for now. It's interesting you make mention of Leo Shi , I've not heard of them here in Australia. I'm often wondering on acquiring 'cheaper' brands that are of a consistent standard. The older Huang Back pack was a good back up harp at one time.
Right here at the computer I have a 'posse' of 'EX' harps waiting to be re-tuned and a few that are there to 'bust a move' on if needed. I notice the Hohner Silver Star [which is dull in volume and needs that extra breath to pull notes from] seems build 'like a tank'. It has a very flat plastic comb front which is great for a very exacting tongue block seal.
 One wonders is those suckers can be reworked as 'a cheap' effective 'player'.
 As for those people who are 'comped or sponsored by the harp related companies all I can say is "you lucky bastards". I frankly have never enough in my [regularly used collection] and would love to try out some of these 'touted' products that I obviously can't fit into my everyday budget or have to have shipped expensively in here to Australia... ha ha..