[Harp-L] Re: frustration with Marine Band Deluxe

I think Richard's experience and Phil's counterbalance remarks highlight what we all are frustrated about in buying harmonicas--inconsistency.  My very first harmonica was a Marine Band in the key of C--one with the gold covers for the 100y anniversary of the 1896.  It played like a dream, and in looking back, I may not have stuck with it if my first harmonica had been like the second harmonica I bought, a Marine Band in the key of A which was leaky and frustrating to play.  I had the exact same experience with Big Rivers and later the Marine Band Deluxe.  I have yet to settle on an out-of-box make or model that is either consistently good or bad.  I'm hoping that any of the new models coming out in the next few months will have that consistency as it is good for all players, and especially for new players who might be turned off if they start out with a dud and don't even know it can be sent back to the factory for repair.  I know that Brad Harrison is
 making consistency out of the box his primary objective and is taking his time to get it right.  I have seen and tested some of his new reeds and they are both beautiful under magnification and amazing to play.  The facility he is working out of in Rockford, IL is outrageous in terms of technology.  He is using machines to cut reeds that are completely robotic and he can adjust his reed profiles with a couple of commands on the computer.  Brad told me that when he showed Jason Ricci the facility, he was uncharacteristically speechless.  I'm not a technician, and I don't know that I'm at liberty to say exactly how he is doing what he is doing, but I will say that if he can make his vision a reality (and he is very close), all players will be better off for this.  This should be an interesting SPAH with several new models from different brands coming out just in time for it.

Paul