Subject: [Harp-L] Jason Ricci - New Album: "Done with the Devil"

That's a very interesting and fun review, Jonathan.  I'll be among  the
first on line for several copies of the CD.  For those wanting to  follow
along, I was able to hear full cuts of each of the tracks from the Delta  Groove
site at Blues Wax:

Firstly, here's yet another chance to see the Pocket Full of Soul
Movie..with Jason and New Blood (among many other artists), this time in Memphis  on
May 8,2009:

_http://www.deltagrooveproductions.com/music/tours/4thannualbluesrevue.html_

(http://www.deltagrooveproductions.com/music/tours/4thannualbluesrevue.html)

...and here's the link where one can click on 'audio clips' to  hear all
the songs you've just discussed:

_http://www.deltagrooveproductions.com/music/releases/downwiththedevil/main.
html_
(http://www.deltagrooveproductions.com/music/releases/downwiththedevil/main.html)

and read Jason's version of what would normally be 'liner notes'. :)
(If you do have to sign up to read it, it's a simple choosing of a password
 and the occasional email from BluesWax...one is not inundated with mail).

I haven't listened sufficient times to decide which of the various songs
are my favourites ...yet. But I do know I've been blown away by the
camaraderie/other band members singing on this album and especially by
Enlightenment....the chord and bass harmonica playing (Jason and Todd), and  Brady's
voice taking the song out.  It's just beautiful. I'd long hoped for  Brady to
participate on a JR Album since he's a wonderful  vocalist/pianist.

One of my fondest memories of a past Buckeye is stashing Brady's little
Pomeranian under my jacket to keep both of us warm in a freezing cold snowy
April while he sang and played a grand piano in an almost empty room  in the
wee hours of the morning..... those are the moments one remembers from
conventions.

I do know a couple of my more 'religious' friends were a bit concerned
about what they thought of as 'devil' imagery on the album.  The idea of  the
album, of course...isn't devil 'worship'..but merely...that one might be
'done with the devil'...but ...is the devil done with you? ;)

By the way,  didn't I see/hear 'I turned into a Martian'..  used as
background music for a YouTube video of skateboarding?

As far as Jason playing 'sideman'...one of my all-time favourite harp
playing by him was his beautiful accompaniment of Heidi and the ElCats on  her
Led Zep vocals of 'Going to California'....it plays as the opening of my own
myspace page (one has to disable Blake's 'East 13' first, though).

_www.myspace/elizabethgs_ (http://www.myspace/elizabethgs)

Jason has been playing more chord harmonica at festivals in lobby
jams...one of my  video recordings from last SPAH is of an especially fun  jam with
him on chord.
I realize it's taken an inordinately long while to get my dvd's
duped...but I WILL get them out to the performers as soon as I'm able. I've had  some
unavoidable delays.

Elizabeth

Message: 10