Re: Re: [Harp-L] Re: Something with full-length covers!

Mouth comfort is a valid advantage of long covers.

For the following reasons, I doubt that the difference in the area of the opening in the back can perceptibly affect the sound of the harp.

If a larger opening were louder and better, then the much larger openings of chromatics would be perceptibly louder and better. I doubt that any of us would agree that such is the case. Most diatonic players would argue the reverse.

The % difference in the rear openings between full-length and tabbed covers is small...say 10%. Only for the sake of argument, assume that the sound energy emitted by the harp is proportional to the area. Then a 10% area difference (or an energy ratio of .9) would produce only an imperceptible 0.5 db difference in sound level.
( 10 x log(.9) = 0.5 db approximately)

Most of the intuitive reasoning about covers assumes that they have a major directional effect on the sound, but this is not so.

I placed a sound meter about a foot away from the harp in front of my face and then 90 degrees to one side. Blowing at the same loudness to the best of my ability, there was at most a 2 db difference in loudness. This would be a better test if the harp were blown by a machine and the meter were read by someone besides me but it satisfied me that the harp was behaving as the acoustic theory predicts. From an opening (under the covers) much smaller than a wavelength, the sound waves propagate equally in all directions.

I posit that the effect of differences in cover shape will be imperceptible, especially when the harp is hand-cupped.

Vern

Vern

----- Original Message ----- From: "Winslow Yerxa" <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>