Subject: Re: [Harp-L] video--"amazing grace"- HOWARD LEVY/Terry McMillan

Terry McMillan's cause of death  was  given as related  to pneumonia (at the
time)...but there were reports he'd just come out off drug  rehab in
December, 2006 (he died in February, 2007), so there was some  speculation.
If that's the reference you mean?

..here's a very sweet Christmas Carol played on harmonica with an
orchestra....put on YouTube as a tribute to him after his death in 2007

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4ZHIT9s2zY_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4ZHIT9s2zY)

His playing of Amazing Grace was nice, but I've heard several versions  by
other players, each one better than the next. The two which truly 'blow  me
away' are still those I listen to regularly:  Frederic Yonnet on  'Blowing Your
Mind on Every Key of the Harp'..and Jason Ricci & New Blood  captured at a gig
in New Jersey on a videocamera and posted to Youtube  by Garry Hodgson (under
Snarkus).  Both make the hair stand up on the back  of my neck. Both are
innovative and exciting yet still hew to the core of  the song/hymn without veering
into the maudlin or going off into the  stratosphere of 'complete
unrecognizability'.

As far as Howard Levy...the issue with Howard's playing is, I think..in the
way he's being recorded and/or the clips posted.

Being present at a Live performance (as Manfred's already said) is
astonishing. Howard's skills on the keyboard are also amazingly good (I could  have
happily enjoyed an entire piano concert of his) and he left me drained with  his
abilities on the harp....where every nuance could be heard crystal  clearly.

Something always seems to be missing on these less than stellar recordings,
is how I see it, and why some aren't getting the full benefit  of his Live
performance.

I don't enjoy listening to Howard play on many of these YouTube clips
either...don't feel engaged emotionally more often than not, yet  am glad to have
been present for his SPAH performance. I'll never forget  it, so can understand
the varying reactions, since I find many of these  posted videos of him
un-sit-throughable much as Richard found, perhaps  because they don't come across as
musical enough for my personal tastes, yet in  person he was extremely
melodious and quite personable....so this is the best  explanation I can come up
with ..for me. Ymmv.

Elizabeth

Message: 9