[Harp-L] learning to appreciate HOWARD LEVY was video--"amazing grace" (Buddha)

I've only caught the last few posts on this, but I do have a couple of comments for what they're worth. The first is, I came upon Howard's "Amazing Grace" by way of Carlos del Junco's. Both leave me cold as versions of that --admitedly overdone-- tune, although in Carlos' version, there were runs that I am stealing for use in other contexts. "Self-indulgent" is the term that springs to mind when musicians load simple pieces more weight of improvisational virtuosity than the original strucutre can bear.

I don't "get" Coltrane either. I'm a simple fellow and I need a clear path through modes and changes or the emotional resonance evaporates and I get bored.

That being said, I came upon Howard by way of Bela Fleck and I that stuff awes and moves me! Howard can swing and emote with the best of them. I credit Buddha with the distinction "musician who plays harp" rather than "harp-player". Whether Howard's Bela Fleck lines were played on diatonic or on clarinet makes no difference. They are great lines.

Andrew