[Harp-L] Brendan Power and PT Gazell "Back to Back"

I acquired a copy of the new Brendan Power/PT Gazell CD "Back to Back" a few weeks ago, and I've listened to it a few times through.  The record makes an immediate, strong first impression with the slamming swing number "Till Tom Special," which sets the pattern for the set: big, dazzling harmonized harmonica lines from the principals with a rhythm section (guitar, piano, bass, drums) that knows how to swing.  From the first note, this thing rocks.

The most striking thing on this record is the way Brendan and PT play together.  This is the first jazz harmonica record I've ever heard that features a harp duo playing harmonized lines up front.  And what harmonies!  Whoever wrote these arrangements knew what they were doing.  The harmonica textures are varied and always, always brilliantly conceived and played. I've heard a lot of swing music in the last 40 years, but I've never heard a sound like this.  It's solidly in the tradition, completely unique, and often thrilling.

The personalities of the players are strong and complementary, PT the cool Chet Baker type (calm tone, little or no vibrato, laid back rhythm) to Brendan's more aggressive and rhythmically forward early-jazz style (think Sidney Bechet or Stephane Grapelli).  I think Brendan's aggressive style brings out a little more heat than usual in PT, and it sounds great.  The solos are striking, and when they play together, it's just fabulous. It's interesting to note how fast these guys can play, too.  When I wrote "Jazz Harp" in 1980, I basically said that harp players were never going to play at saxophone speeds.  Well, since then we've had Levy, Popper, Ricci, Power, Gazell, Gregoire Maret, Harmonica Boris, Clint Hoover, and more prove me wrong.  It's official--harp players now play fast.

In addition to the terrific ensemble work, there are excellent solo turns by Power and Gazelle, including Power's moving rendition of "What a Wonderful World." (There's also a hellaciously amped solo by Brendan on the blues "Better Go" that sounds like Chicago blues on acid.)  The harmonicas are beautifully recorded throughout, and the entire recording has a clear, punchy sound that's perfect for the music.  The final piece on the recording is a hot take on "Honeysuckle Rose," after which the musicians can be heard saying "That was hot!"  You bet.

With the recent Jellyroll Johnson release and this one, this is already a good year for jazz harmonica backed by a Nashville rhythm section.  I guess the obvious lesson is that if you want to make a record with a rhythm section that knows its jazz from the 1950s back, go to Nashville.  People who are into jazz on the harmonica will play this record until the plastic wears out. Anyone who wants to hear some truly new harmonica ensemble textures is well advised to pick this up too.  This is the current state of the art in harmonica horn sections.

The CD is available at http://www.ptgazell.com and http://www.brendan-power.com.

Regards, Richard Hunter