Re: [Harp-L] Prices of Seydel Chromatics Compared to Diatonics

On how the chromatic is so much cheaper, it's not a comparison to the diatonics, because it is a totally different animal entirely. When you see a Chromatic DeLuxe for $99, you aren't seeing a 99-buck chromatic, but instead a chromatic that is still being sold at its 1999 price.
Seydel has never raised the price on the Chromatic DeLuxe. A catalog I have from 1999 says they were $99. Germany has changed currency since then, so I'll start from the year 2002, the first Euro year, I believe, to keep it simple.
At that time, the DeLuxe was only available in C, at that time $99 netted Seydel 99 Euros. With the dollar vs. Euro value -- not even factoring inflation --- Seydel now only gets 63 Euros.
When you factor in inflation, plus the dollar vs. Euro value, Seydel would have to charge $178 to get the same amount of money it got for that same harmonica in 1999.
I'm not sure how long this situation will last, or when there will be some kind of price increase, but if I were thinking of getting a Chromatic DeLuxe, I would do so forthwith. This price situation can not last forever.

I've been meaning to post this anyway on the DeLuxe keys...
For most chromatics, the highest key is your average C... 1 blow = C4. So, it runs G 1 blow = G3, A=A3, etc. when you want a D, you have to go lower, the D is D3, the E is E3, F is F3, etc.
Seydel is different since it's 1-blow on chromatics goes up to F4. Their chromatic keys mimic their diatonics in pitch, so your G is G3, A is A3, Bb is Bb3, then the C is C4. But, when you get to D, they keep going up. Your D is 1 blow=D4, E-E4, F=F4.
If you want a D like everybody else makes, you  go for the Baritone D.
So, the 1 blow on Seydels runs like this as far as I know:
Baritones
C= C3
D = D3
E = E3