Re: [Harp-L] RE: Im tired of amps

marcos coll wrote:
<Excuse my ignorance,but what is the RP200--???
<I dont know too much about amp stuff,but what you say about this thing sound perfect
<for me!!!!!
<If you could tell me a little about it(or a web site where i can see something),and
<also how much it cost and where i can get it,you'll make me very happy!

The Digitech RP200 is an "amp modeler", a piece of hardware driven by a computer chip that is programmed to emulate various amplifiers and effects.  Other examples of amp modelers include the Line6 POD (in its various forms), the Zoom G-series (G1, G2, etc.) the Behringer V-AMP and V-AMP2, and the newer Digitech RP150, 250, and 350, as well as single-purpose devices from Boss that emulate a Fender Bassman and Fender Deluxe Reverb respectively.  All of these devices do a good job of re-creating the sound of an amp (or multiple amps--the Digitech RP200 contains 11 amp models, about half of which work well with harp).

I started using the Digitech RP200 about 6-7 years ago, and at this point I'm pretty familiar with it.  Other members of Harp-L use a POD, the Behringer, one of the Zoom devices, or one of the newer Digitech models.  I've also tried the Zoom G1 and the Boss Fender Bassman pedal.  In my opinion, they all sound very good.  The most important thing is to pick one and learn to use it, because it takes time to learn how to use it effectively. (The second most important thing is to pick a mic--any mic--and stick with it, because like a real amp, the pedals interact differently with different mics, and if you change mics frequently you have to spend a LOT of time programming.  I use the Audix Fireball V now.)  Every "patch" (sound design) for one of these things represents an amp model, compression and EQ settings, a speaker cabinet model, effects settings, and delay and reverb settings, so a single patch is like setting up an amp plus half a dozen effect devices.  I spent over 50 hours developing a full set of 40 patches for the RP200.

The main advantage of the RP200 (compared to a POD or some other brand) to a novice is that I sell a full set of 40 harp-ready patches for the RP200 (optimized for the Audix Fireball V) for a price of $20, which saves you a lot of time getting the thing ready for performance. A number of Harp-L members bought that set, and just about all of them are very happy with it (at least if my mail is any indication).  If you're willing to put your own time in, you can certainly create a set of great sounds for yourself with any of the devices named above.  I offer some pointers on programming amp modelers, as well as samples recorded using the RP200, at my website at http://hunterharp.com/effectset.html.

The RP200 has been discontinued, but there are plenty of them around in good condition.  (For some reason, the device was marketed mainly to novice guitarists, and novices frequently quit.)  At any given time you can find a dozen RP200s for sale on eBay at prices ranging from $70-$90 depending on condition.  Daddy's Junky Music (http://daddys.com), a reputable dealer, also sells them for similar prices, in their case with a money-back warranty--don't remember whether it's 15 or 30 days, but either way it's a little bit of extra insurance for the purchase, and in my opinion worth it.  At $70 apiece, it's probably a good idea to buy a spare if you decide you like the thing.  I've bought two used to back up my primary, and I've never had a major problem with any of them. (I've dedicated one for my electric piano, and I keep the other for general backup.)  I did have to do a mechanical adjustment on the footpedal on one of them (loosening the nut that holds it together), and I've had to re-calibrate the footpedal on a few occasions, but that's a standard maintenance procedure that's described in the manual, and it only takes a minute, with no tools involved.  Otherwise, no problems.

Digitech's web site (digitech.com) has more info, manuals, etc. for the stuff they make.  For more info on amp modelers in general, check out the websites of the various manufacturers described above.

As always, whenever you're thinking of buying a piece of gear, check the user reviews on harmonycentral.com first.  If there's a general problem with any piece of gear, you're going to see it there.

Regards, Richard Hunter