[Harp-L] tuneable muzzle-drum

In a post about how to classify harmonicas when the reed is plucked I had wondered if there was such a thing as a tunable jaw-harp (guimbarde, jew's harp, etc...--I like "muzzle-drum" a babelfish translation of the German, but will mostly use guimbarde as that seems to be pretty standard amongst enthusiasts). No sooner had I written that than someone who knows more about both guimbardes and harmonicas than anyone else I'm aware of sent me this link:

http://danmoi.de/shop/index.php? main_page=product_info&cPath=3_12_14&products_id=394

Sadly, while this is by far the coolest looking muzzle-drum I've ever seen, it's also the most expensive.

As far as the relation between free-reeds, mouth-organs and guimbardes, this is an interesting variant:

http://danmoi.de/shop/index.php? main_page=product_info&cPath=3_18_29&products_id=723&language=en

I've tried playing harmonica reeds (and other free-reeds as well) as guimbardes... but the problem I always end up with is that when I try to use a column of air to enhance the sound, it ends up just being a free reed again. It appears from the photos that they have added a plucker to the reed, which makes sense and probably helps alleviate that problem by giving a much more forceful start to the pluck.

As far as harmonica related, I think the case for the free-reed as being developed from the guimbarde is fairly compelling. I also think that it is interesting and perhaps significant that the differences in construction between the East-Asian free-reed and the European free-reed are mirrored in those of the guimbarde.

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()
`----'