Re: [Harp-L] polishing reeds

The wands are nice, but you can make them yourself. All you need are popsicle sticks. They can be used but those will be stained. I put them in the microwave with bleach. Besides they're my wife's, so if I was going to catch anything, I would have already done so in the last 42 years.

You can also buy them new at Walmart, Michaels, JBM bargain barrel, the 99cent store..you get the picture. Then a pack of emory boards. You cut them 1/8" or so wide with Fiskers and using contact cement, afix them to the EDGES of the sticks. The boards have 2 different grits on their 2 sides. And, they come in several grits package to package.

You can also make wands with different emory paper, garnet paper, etc. You can also dip sticks in glue and then in fine grit. I happen to take regular beach sand, sift it through a ultra fine carburator screen.

I applaud your recent endeavor to write your book 'Harmonica for Dummies'. I (myself) had contemplated such a book many years ago, but both Blackie and Doug Tate had beat me to it. This was the same excuse Jerry (Murad) used. Luckily YOU have a recognizable name, and it should do well.

It amuses me every time I hear about people buying these exotic harmonica repair tool sets. I suppose my many years of working with my hands, having amassed a plethora of stuff, and coming up with my own methods has me jaded.

As for tuning, maybe it's permissible at a factory or by a customizer who is doing a lot of reeds, where time is of the essence, and time actually IS money, but otherwise there is NO reason for a singular person to ever use a file or machine to tune. If a person doesn't have 4 minutes, then it's like that old phrase "If you ain't got no MoJo Nixon, your music store could use some fixin".

smo-joe