Re: Re: [Harp-L] polishing reeds

----- Original Message ----- From: <glenlabb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2008 9:17 AM
Subject: Re: Re: [Harp-L] polishing reeds

John Kerkhoven wrote:
What do you use to do the polishing? You don't want to be
de-tuning the reed at the same time.
Oh, but you'll be SERIOUSLY detuning the reed.  Just be prepared to
retune afterwards.
-tim

But, won't you have to scratch the reed to re-tune, then polish out the new scratches, re-tune, re-polish, re-tune, etc, etc? Where does it all end. With a weaker reed???? Or ... can you polish the end of the reed or the near the revet (or weld) to re-tune the reed after the initial polishing. Just wondering.

I think that your concerns are well founded, IF it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I would not polish a reed unless it needs tuning. The tuning scratches made by the factory are usually at a small angle with respect to the reed axis. These scratches affect stress concentration in proportion to the sine of the angle. A scratch at 90 deg with respect to the reed axis is the worst case. A scratch at 45 deg is 70% as bad, at 30 deg is 50% as bad, at 15 deg is 25% as bad and a scratch parallel to the reed axis would not introduce any stress concentration at all.

Years ago, Mike Easton introduced me to a tuning tool that leaves a shiny, polished surface. It is a little wheel of fine abrasive in a rubber matrix called a "Shofu Brownie" They are used to polish metal dental appliances such as crowns and bridges. See https://www.net32.com/ec/brownie-prepolish-hp-wh6-square-edge-wheel-d-41004 They have 3/32" shanks and fit nicely in the little motorized spindles used to shape fingernails. A Dremel spindle is, IMO, overkill for tuning.

I prefer a Microlux spindle like MicroMark http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=15230
It is about $115 including the DC power supply to make it go and shipping..

I have a little nail file spindle powered by a single AA cell from Walmart for about $15. It works OK in a traveling repair kit. With some patience, it will get the job done and there is little danger that you will injure a reed. However, it lacks torque and stalls easily. You pays your money and you takes your choice. ;o)

Vern
Visit my harmonica website www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com

Glenn
-------------- Original message from "Tim Moyer" <wmharps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>: --------------