[Harp-L] Re: Another review of Chris Michalek's customized Golden Melodies

Dear Reeders,
                        I bought one of Chris Michalek's custom harps too.
                        First I should qualify my 'review' by saying that I have owned only a couple of custom harps before, and have played only a couple of others as well.
                        However, I have been overbending harps now for nearly thirty years, and have persevered with my own clumsy modifications, determined to make the human element overcome the adversity of the hadware (that's modern-speak for 'man bites harmonica')
                       The last paragraph of John Panchuk's review appended below is particularly relevant to my experience:
"It is now my belief that it is not possible for the average person to learn to play like Jason or Chris unless they're using a comparable instrument."
                      I don't believe I could have gone any further in my practical use of overbending without this kind of harp.
                     The GMs have always been a bit trebly for me, and while this harp is a GM, Michalek's work seems to have given the instrument an added depth, so that the sharp clip at the top of the notes is supported by a complex depth of tone, and a sort of 'headroom' between the natural, and overbent note, which is what makes (in addition to skill, of course) Michalek able to get that extraordinary vibrato on the lower pitched reeds of any given pair (ie blows 1-6 and draws 7-10)
                     I like to find the 'dry' spot in a bent note; the silence between the unbent and bent note; however, if there is too much of that on an overbend, the response is usually too slow for practical use.
                     I can 'pop' an overbent reed on Michaleks harp with ease; even use my Gwen Foster-style  'trill' between the natural and overbent note (even on the overdraws) yet there is still a platform between the two notes where I can get silence, and where the lower reed of the pair can be slightly bent AS A SINGLE REED BEND.
                   Frankly, I'm taking a while to adjust to this harp, as it is incredibly sensitive, and it makes me feel like an ape with a china teacup (this metaphor is not supposes to reflect the harps potential durability, of course!)
                   Like a lot of us, I don't have money to chuck around, and I've been conservative with custom harps for that reason, determining to get my skill up as far as I could before getting in too dollar-deep.
                   Seeing Michalek actually playing one of his own custom jobs (in this vid. in particular:http://www.nme.com/video/id/vAvxKVdaE_Y/search/overblow  ) then seeing what he was asking for them got me reaching for my credit card.
                I know I could pay twice as much for a custom harp, and I do not see how I would be better off.
                I think this harp is excellent, and is a challenge for me in the sense that it seems rich with possiblities, which I will no doubt spend quite some time exploring.
               This is a 'C'; I would like to try a lower keyed Michalek special some time soon.
               My only reservation in writing this review is that, no doubt, like most crack customizers, Michalek will be flooded with orders and there will be a long wait and messages of 'no more' from the encumbered craftsmen.
               My reason for writing it, apart from philanthropic largesse, is so that I can use it as leverage when he is inundated with work, and I want some special consideration.
               By the way, I live in Australia, and the harp was at my door in about ten days from ordering.

Regards,
Rick Dempster
Melbourne,
Victoria,
Australia

>>> John Panchuk <jfpanchuk@xxxxxxxxx> 26/09/2008 2:23 >>>
This is a plug for Chris Michalek's customized Golden Melodies. After playing my new Bb for the first time on Monday night, I ordered three more in different keys first thing Tuesday morning. I now view my existing harps as unplayable without significant rework even though, in the past, I've tinkered with them to improve on their out-of-the-box performance. These include various Hohner models such as: Marine Band, Blues Harp, Special 20, ProHarp, Big River and Golden Melody.

When I first played my new GM, it was immediately apparent that the harmonica played louder and brighter than my existing GM and my other Hohners, without sounding tinny. Very little wind is required to play the low notes and all notes respond equally when played. The low draw notes bend smoothly and accurately with minimal air pressure required. It is much easier to play quickly as very little air is needed to produce a reasonable volume.

To facilitate these improvements in playability, in addition to his reed work, Chris has opened up the back and sides of the cover plates. Playing comfort has been improved by smoothing any exposed sharp corners and edges on the reed and cover plates.

The sort of difference in performance I notice with my GM is like that which Jason Ricci ably describes and exhibits in the YouTube video link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g_Mi1R0vsM

It is now my belief that it is not possible for the average person to learn to play like Jason or Chris unless they're using a comparable instrument. Given the high demand and lengthy waiting lists for customized harmonicas, I suggest you contact Chris as soon as possible, before he is swamped too.