[Harp-L] Which hole number and two finger typing

In my mid fifties I learned to touch type with a computer programme and
regard it as one of my better time investments. I figured that this exercise
would pay off when I eventually got around to trying to learn to pay the
mouth organ.
When I was learning to type I found that by dint of learning what was where
on the keyboard I could type memos and the like in my head even when driving
along in the car. However later a change occurred. I found that I could no
longer type in my head and now I am not too sure where any of the keys are.
My fingers seem to know where to go themselves. I also noticed when I was
learning to type that people who had developed a certain level of
proficiency in two finger typing could rarely if ever bring themselves to
make the transition to touch typing with all fingers.
Alas when I tried to apply my typing experience to mouth organ playing
almost twenty years later I found myself like the two finger typers too far
down the road to incompetence to be able to play in my head all this 4 blow
3 draw stuff.
I had taught myself in my youth (all unconsciously)to transpose everything
to C (what a waste of a chromatic!)and I seemed to be able to 'hit the
sound'without consciously knowing where it was.
I came across a book by some academic called (I think): "This is your brain
music" which looked like it might provide some insights and I had all but
ordered it from Amazon when I read a few negative reviews. I then decided
that I would probably get more useful advice from the many eminent and
erudite gurus on this list.
All is not lost. As a result of playing weekly with a local trad learners
group, I have at last weaned myself away from first position and can make a
reasonable fist of "one sharp" and even "two sharp" tunes. I can use the
sheet music for 'forensic examination' of bars or runs that I am having
difficulty with.
I am following this "which hole number" thread with interest. I look forward
to further enlightenment and am pleased to find that there may be others
with similar problems to mine. However in my 72nd year time is not on my
side I need quick results!
Beannachtaí
Aongus Mac Cana