From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Steve Baker
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 3:41 PM
To: Harp-L
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Cryogenics

smo joe wrote:

<See, now here's something that I think has slid by the wayside over
the years. And frankly, I have thought about TOO much.
Something comes up that 'may' be good for harmonica..BUT it is
disallowed..Becauuuuuuse, it is an infinitesimal improvement  or a
diminumus factor and the result(s) is/are so slight that the issue
doesn't justify the: Time, labor, effort, expense. Pick one. :)

B U T, what if a person were to take SEVERAL of these otherwise
insignificant factors/items/nuances and incorporate a BUNCH of them
into a harmonica. What would be the result(s). We already talk about
taking a stock harp and re-gapping, embossing, polishing the scars
out of the reeds, scooping tips, bip bip, boop boop. .

I kinda go along with the manufacturers in that any of these small
incremental improvements? (sic) aren't likely to be given
consideration individually, but what if someone made a harmonica that
WAS truly innovative? Instead of just rehashing the same ole same ole
for the last 175 years?

meeting in smokey places>

Good question, I wholeheartedly agree with you. It does however
automatically raise the next question, which is what would all the
harmonica players who routinely complain about price increases say
when manufacturers were obliged to charge their customers for these
incremental improvements? They surely would not come for free and a
normal retail price calculation works out at around 3$ for every 1$
of manufacturing costs in the factory. Whatcha reckon folks?

Steve

Steve Baker
steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.stevebaker.de