Re: [Harp-L] which hole number I'm playing at now?

Good advice below from the Iceman. I might add the following:

Find useful reference points on the harp. Blow 4 is good for a lot of first position tunes (like the nursery rhymes you often learn when beginning harmonica), because so many of them start on Blow 4. Draw 2 is another good one because it's the home note of second position.

Once you can find one of these reference points, you can find other notes in the neighboring holes. Want Blow 5? It's just to the right of Hole 4. Want Draw 1? It's one hole to the left of Draw 2.

After awhile, you acquire more reference points. Blow 5 stops being "one hole to the right of Hole 4" and becomes its own reference point. Then Hole 6, and so on.

So how do you get to where you can consistently find a reference point? Play lots of tunes that start on that reference point.

You could start with simple songs that are familiar to you, such as children's songs and folk tunes. You already know what the tunes sound like, so you just have to find them on the harp. Many such tunes are found in the little Hohner pamphlet for beginners, and also in books for beginners. Some of these tunes start on Blow 4, some on Blow 3 or 5. You can tell by the arrows and numbers which ones start on 4, so begin with those, then add the ones that start on 3 or 5.

Tunes that start on Draw 2 are not usually given as beginner material. They will usually be in second position, and again, some second position tunes will start on Draw 2 (the home note of the position) while others will start on Draw 1, Draw 3, or Draw 4. I'll leave it to you to find them. Again, you can gain familiarity by repetition of more than one tune that starts at that reference point.

Eventually, you want to be able to pick up the harp, put it in your mouth and go to any hole on the harp accurately without hinting around.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa