[Harp-L] Review of Chris Michalek's customized Golden Melodies

This is a plug for Chris Michalek's customized Golden Melodies. After playing my new Bb for the first time on Monday night, I ordered three more in different keys first thing Tuesday morning. I now view my existing harps as unplayable without significant rework even though, in the past, I've tinkered with them to improve on their out-of-the-box performance. These include various Hohner models such as: Marine Band, Blues Harp, Special 20, ProHarp, Big River and Golden Melody.

When I first played my new GM, it was immediately apparent that the harmonica played louder and brighter than my existing GM and my other Hohners, without sounding tinny. Very little wind is required to play the low notes and all notes respond equally when played. The low draw notes bend smoothly and accurately with minimal air pressure required. It is much easier to play quickly as very little air is needed to produce a reasonable volume.

To facilitate these improvements in playability, in addition to his reed work, Chris has opened up the back and sides of the cover plates. Playing comfort has been improved by smoothing any exposed sharp corners and edges on the reed and cover plates.

The sort of difference in performance I notice with my GM is like that which Jason Ricci ably describes and exhibits in the YouTube video link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g_Mi1R0vsM

It is now my belief that it is not possible for the average person to learn to play like Jason or Chris unless they're using a comparable instrument. Given the high demand and lengthy waiting lists for customized harmonicas, I suggest you contact Chris as soon as possible, before he is swamped too.