Re: [Harp-L] Which Hole Number?

What you want to be doing is determine the hole by ear... With my students, I can do that just by hearing the noteÂTHEY play and I'm teaching them to do the same. It's much easier to do on a harp YOU are playing, because you can alo rely on feel somewhat... that's what you want to work toward...

The first step is find a reference note, we'll use a key of C harp... you want to recognize what the C sounds like and you'll find it at 1 blow, 4 blow, 7 blow and 10 blow. The farthest distance you can get from any of these notes is one hole. Wherever you are, there is a C note right next to that hole. You want to start on six blow, find the 7 blow C and go one down. Or find the four blow C and count two up.
Your next reference will be the D, 1 draw, 4 draw and 8 draw.
If you play some tongue block octaves, this will help you recognize the sounds. Play 1 draw (with tongue over 2,3) and 4 draw, for instance or blow those same holes for the C.
What if you are using an A harp? No problem, just hit a draw and blow chord and you're brain will adjust keys. Your brain doesn't hear a âCâ it hears the keynote, so once you learn it on one harmonica, it will be no problem to pick up a harp in another key and do the same thing.
On the chromatic, your first point of reference will be (on a C) the two C blow holes that are right next to each other. That is very, very easy to find.

Seydels don't have hole numbers at all, although you can buy numbered covers for the Session that will fit a bunch of other models, too. I love this... my students are learning to think with their ears and its making them better players.

Dave
Dave Payne Sr.
Elk River Harmonicas
www.elkriverharmonicas.com