Re: [Harp-L] RE: Combs - I surrender with my last word

JRR writes
whereas the harmonica reed is an idiophone(sp).

No it is in the category of free reed aerophones. I've seen Kalimba listed as an idiophone but it's really a lamellophone. The category also includes jaw's harp and music boxes. Even the inclusion of kalimba in the lamellophone category is disputed. There is a contingent that thinks that they are their own special category because the lengths of the tounges are not fixed but adjustable. I'm only aware of the controversy because I play occasionally in a band with an importer of Hugh Tracey kalimbas. As I read the categories it is the tongue that makes it a lamellophone.

A really good place to start with how harmonicas make sound is by reading the Acoustics Australia article Pitch Control in Harmonica Playing. Written by Robert Johnston formerly a participant on this forum. It is available as a pdf here, http://mis.ucd.ie/Members/RJohnst/oldharp.pdf

There are several good articles here,
http://www.turboharp.com/Company/CompanyIndex.asp

and as always www.patmissin.com is a treasure trove of accurate well vetted harmonica facts, trivia and more technical information than I'll be able to process in a lifetime.

There is a follow up article to the original Robert Johnston article. I have it somewhere but I can't find a reference to it currently. The Turbo Harps site does have the James Antaki, Henry Bahnson article along with a very famous MRI of Howard Levy's vocal tract in action.

When people suggest that the archives be delved into I think it is because a lot of this has already been discussed. There is some great information there but admittedly it can take some digging to find and some of the more crucial bits aren't currently archived. Pat Missin's best ever article on intonation and tunings went missing in a server crash. Blessedly it is available on his site.

I think it is just fine and dandy that people ask these questions over and over again. Vern hones his writing skills and every time I learn something new from reading what for me is a very old discussion. I would like to compliment Vern on his explanations. Either I've gotten smarter or Vern has gotten really good at explaining this stuff. Most probably the latter. I am somewhat disappointed that Bobbie Giordono hasn't weighed in here. She has some very intriguing divergent ideas regarding these topics. fjm