[Harp-L] Which Hole Number?

Not that I'm anyone to emulate, but when I'm playing I have no conscious idea what hole I'm at either.  Maybe subconsciously I know, but its not something I think about while it's happening.  Nor do I have any idea what the names of the notes are. I can learn pieces by reading, but once I've got a piece memorized I forget all about the names of the notes or their corresponding holes.

I don't condone or promote my haphazard method.  I envy players who have a running awareness of every note name and note hole they play.  But my peabrain just doesn't work that way.

Here's an example of a piece I learned by reading sheet music, but once it was internalized I couldn't tell you anything about the note holes or names:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-Thib725Ig