[Harp-L] Audix Fireball vs. Shure 545

I did some tweaking on my Ron Holmes-modified Crate VC508 yesterday, replacing the 12AT7 preamp tube Ron installed with a 12AX7 (Ron advised that either would work with the biasing he set up, and I wanted a little more punch from the amp).  While I was at it, I decided to test a few mics with the amp.  I used a Suzuki Firebreath in A for all the tests.  I tested three mics: an Astatic JT-30VC, an Audix Fireball with V element, and a Shure 545.

The Astatic, interestingly enough, was the least effective of the 3--not a lot of bottom end, and a lot of feedback.  I was expecting more.

The Shure had tremendous power on the low end--gotta love that proximity effect with dynamic mics.  However, higher-pitched notes on the harp (above draw 6) had a very screechy sound, with lots of intermodulation distortion (for those not acquainted with same, it's something that sounds like a second and very dissonant note is being generated by the amp).  The 545, like other Shure vocal mics, has a "bump" in its frequency response at around 10 kHz, and you could sure hear it with this amp.

The Audix had almost as much punch on the bottom end as the 545, with a MUCH smoother upper register sound--very little intermodulation distortion, and none of the screechiness that the Shure produced.  It was also the least feedback prone of all three mics.

My guess is that players who stick to the low end of the harp--draw 6 and below--would find the 545 to be a very workable mic.  I suppose you could tame the high register distortion by running it through an EQ before it hits the amp.  But if you play the whole range of the harp, the Fireball out of the box is tough to beat.

Regards, Richard Hunter