[Harp-L] RE: Combs - I surrender with my last word

 Jonathan Ross wrote in response to my resonance comment on electric
guitars:

"But, more to the point, no this analogy isn't useful.  In a string
instrument, the sound of the string itself is not the primary factor,
but rather the vibrating membrane which the energy of the string is
used to drive.  It is this vibrating body which puts air in motion,
generating what you hear (with perhaps a minimal contribution from
the sound of air around the string).  In a wind instrument, the sound
is created by disrupting the flow of a moving column of air.  The
reed (either beating or free) acts as a gate, opening and closing to
allow the air through.  In neither beating nor free reeds is the
vibration of the reed transfered to a flexible membrane which can
move a body of air.  These two methods of producing sound waves in
the air are entirely different."

But I was talking about an electric guitar. Electric guitars, more
specifically solid body electric guitars, do not have a sound board or
"membrane" to project/amplify the sound (unless you want to go all the way
to the speaker). The vibration of the string is converted in the pickups. My
point was that the vibrating thing was connected to something solid and it's
sound was effected by the properties of that solid thing. I was
hypothesizing that in a harmonica, the same kind of effect was possible.
Change the characteristics of the solid thing (wood and metal bridge or comb
and reed plates) and you could effect the sound quality.

I realize that all musical instruments are not the same. But sound is
produced by moving air and there are similarities in a guitar and harmonica
that are not there in a guitar and siren. Both a guitar and harmonica have a
"tuned" objects that are key in the production of the sound. Both those
objects vibrate. Both those objects result, directly or indirectly in sound
being produced.

When I spoke of lack of testing I was referring to the specific effect of
resonance. I was thinking of tests that would be more specific than the
listener or player hearing a difference. I was thinking of tests that would
result in material experientation that would be focused particularly on the
resonance effects. I was not minimizing the things done. I was thinking,
lots of money and lots of equiptment.

I have willingly and humbly listened to those who's ideas challenge and
contradict my ideas and I have learned from the exchange. But it is honestly
not an enjoyable exchange when my thoughts seem to be dismissed without
being understood yet with with "expert" accuracy. Is sound production with
the result of moving air from two sources truly "entirely different"? If you
connected a harmonica read to a sound board would the note be the same? Is
the vibration chopping air unrelated to the vibration that moves a membrane?
What would happen if a guitar string was put in an environment where it
would chop air? Would it produce an entirely different note? Would anyone
want to play an instrument that big with their mouth? How would you hold it?
(Sorry I digressed from ranting to humor.)

I guess I assumed that I should not be penalized for not having been a
member of the list for years and years. I guess I assumed that this was an
exchange of ideas and hypothesis.

I am done.

Derwood