[Harp-L] Re: Combs

Maka McMahon commented:

>Derwood wrote:

>>"My point about the siren was that the velocity of the siren, at least the
>>ones I have seen on firetrucks that spin, changes the frequency of the
note
>>where on a harmonica the velocity does not effect the frequency, at least
>>within the range of human lung strength......"

>If the sound of the siren is created by the air being 'chopped up' by its
passage
>through the slots in the siren case, then the faster you spin, the more
'chops',
>or the higher the frequency.

>The harp reed chops up the air, but the 'chop rate' (or frequency) is
dependent
>on the vibration characteristics of the reed, rather then the speed of the
air
>going past it.

Same idea (chppoed air), just different implementation and a different
frequency
>control mechanism.

Is not all sound chopped air. Either I am missing your point or you are
missing mine. I was saying that a harmonica is not like a siren in that it
uses the vibration characteristics of the material to create the frequency
rather that the velocity of the air. A guitar does the same thing it chops
air by the characteristics of the moving material, the strings. Other than
moving air, like all sound producers, I do not see the similarity to a
siren. But likely I am missing the point and am wallowing in my ignorance.
How bout those cover plates!

Derwood