Re: [Harp-L] Re: new harmonica trio idea

On Sep 23, 2008, at 12:02 AM, Maka McMahon wrote:

When I wore a younger man's clothes, we used to be able to determine the number of cylinders, whether a 2- or 4- stroke, the rpm and a whole bunch of characteristics of the engine with just good ears and a stop watch.

The men seem to be speaking Swedish or Norwegian (maybe Finn). It would be hard to turn a diesel that slow unless it was a 2 stroke. So, since logic is my God, I suspect it is a Saab single cyllinder 2 stroke of around 925ccs (abt 56.5 cubic inches), Thus yielding abt 18.5 hp at 1800 rpm with a rev limit of 2700. These engines were very popular for fishing craft. Very similar to the Lunenburg 'make & break' engines of Nova Scotia.

We could also determine the number of propellers, the number of blades on each prop and a whole bunch of interesting aspects of support equipment (generators, pumps etc) acoustically (and passively), from a long distance.

Yes, That would be impressive. I had a Cri-Cri (French ultra lite) with 2 McCullough chain saw engines of 9hp each. Although you shouldn't need a pilots lic for an ultra lite, I got into trouble because not only was the speed 127 mph (TWICE the legal limit), but I found out to my dismay that TWO engines automatically requires a license. Sooooo, I went and got a license. You would have liked the sound of those 2 buzz saws.

Sound propagation in water gives a whole bunch of tools for hunting submarines, and our main targets were diesel electrics. Nukes were too easy - we left most of those for the Yanks!

However, my dodgy computer speakers and youtube sound quality make it tricky for these old ears to figure this one out. I think its one engine - just a lot of rattle in the valves and peripherals. And its probably easier to get into most venues than all the crap drummers bring with them!

Two possibilities. #1, given the ancient age of the tractor, it may have EXTERNAL valve springs. #2, given the mileage on the tractor, the power takeoff may have a worn bearing.

smo-joe

Cheers

Maka

Make the switch to the world's best email. Get Yahoo!7 Mail! http://au.yahoo.com/y7mail